Stakeholders - FAQ
Share |
How do I lodge a complaint against a Registered Person?

Download an 'Affidavit" from the WHO WE ARE - Protecting the Public section of the SACAP website. Complete and submit to the SACAP Legal and Compliance Officer via email : Alternately, contact the SACAP Legal and Compliance officer on Tel : + 27 11 479 5000.How much are annual registration fees?

The Annual Registration Fees for the period 1 April 2013 - 31 March 2014 are as follows:

Professionals: R2212.35 (incl. VAT)

Candidates: R945.00 (incl. VAT)Can I be exempted from CPD?

The Council may grant full or partial exemption from the requirements of these conditions for such period within the five year cycle as the Council may deem appropriate and reasonable.
A retired registered person, who no longer carries out any architectural work, either in a consulting capacity or in a salaried position, is exempted from these conditions provided that such retired registered person is listed on the Council's database in the Non-Practising Category.How will SACAP monitor compliance with these conditions?

A random audit will be conducted every year. The registered person will be required to submit documentary proof of all her CPD credits claimed on the portfolio claim form.What about if I was registered before 1 January 2007, Am I still affected by these conditions? How?

Yes, SACAP has made transitional arrangements for the phasing in of these conditions. Table A in Part D - Transitional provisions will show you when your current registration is deemed to have expired.How do I determine my annual cycle?

The annual cycle runs from 1 January to 31 December of every calendar year and is not dependant on the month of your registration anniversary.
How often and in what form must I inform SACAP of my CPD activities

Activities may be recorded manually on the prescribed portfolio claim for downloadable from the SACAP website and then either faxed, posted or emailed back to SACAP; or entered electronically in a password protected domain on the SACAP website; no later than 30 days after the completion of each annual cycle.What about if I have lost/ misplaced my certificate?

You need to report to the police and to SACAP as soon as you realise that you no longer have your certificate. You will need to furnish SACAP with a sworn statement (affidavit).What about my registration certificate?

The old certificate must be returned to SACAP and a new certificate will be sent to all persons whose registration has been renewed.
How do I know that my registration has been renewed?

SACAP will send you written notification within 30 days of expiry of your registration.
When should I apply for renewal of my registration? And how?

At least 3 month before expiry of your current registration.
Application must be made on the prescribed application form and proof of payment for the administration fee must be submitted to SACAP.
When is the deadline for renewal of registration?

The deadline for the first group was set at 1 September 2007. SACAP has extended the deadline for the first group by one year. Registered persons, who fall within this first group, are thus able to continue practicing under their current registration for an additional year, and will then need to apply for renewal of registration by September 2008.What will you do to me if I refuse to comply?

Any registered person who wilfully refuses to undertake CPD activities or comply with the CPD conditions is guilty of improper conduct and provisions of sections27(3), 28, 29, 30 , 31, 32 and 33 of the Act shall apply.
What about if I do not want to engage in CPD activities because I do not see its relevance to my career

With effect from 1 January 2008, registrations will be valid for only 5 years, renewal of registration will depend on you complying with a number of conditions set by SACAP one being accumulation of the necessary CPD credits as specified.What about if I am working outside the borders of this country

If you are working abroad where a system of CPD is established, the requirements and activities engaged in that country shall be accepted subject to you giving documentary evidence of such activities to the Registrar who, in consultation with the CPD committee will make final approval.Where do I get information regarding validated courses?

Category 1 activity information will be provided by the recognised Voluntary Associations and accredited Architectural Learning Sites.
In addition information supplied to SACAP will be listed under News & Events on the SACAP website.
Please note that SACAP is not responsible for the validation or delivery of courses of category one CPD activities.
What happens to the extra credits I have accumulated?

Credit accumulated in excess of 5 during any year within the registration cycle can be carried over to subsequent years as contained in Appendix A of the Conditions.
What is the overall minimum credit required per annum

The minimum number of credits required in any year is 3 on condition that if your registration is expiring you will have to have the full total credit of 25 in a normal 5 year cycle. (An average of 5 credits per year).Is there a minimum or maximum annual requirement for this Category?

A maximum of 3 credits in addition to the membership of a recognised VA and post-graduate studies a maximum of 3 credits may be accumulated per annum.How do I earn CPD credits?

CPD credits can be earned by engagement in various activities across three categories.
What is meant by Individual activities

a. Membership of a Voluntary Association - 1 credit per annum.
b. Other activities
Relevant postgraduate studies - 5 credits per annum
(range of other activities are listed in the Appendix A of the CPD Conditions as published by SACAP)
Is there a minimum or maximum annual requirement for this Category?

Yes, A maximum of 2 credits is can be claimed every year for
a. above.
A maximum of 1 credit may be claimed for b. above every year
What is meant by Work – based Activities

a. By performing your day-to-day architectural responsibilities in a practice or by lecturing full-time in an architectural educational institution, you are improving your knowledge, skills and competency.
1 credit for every 400 hours worked per annum
b. In addition mentoring of candidates and in-house training sessions also count towards this category.
1 credit for every 50 hours of mentoring per annum
Is there a minimum annual requirement for Category one?

Yes, A minimum of one credit is compulsory every year.
(A maximum of 4 credits may be accumulated every year).
What is meant by Developmental Activities

These are structured educational/developmental activities organised by recognised Voluntary Associations and accredited Architectural Educational Institutions. These may be inactive or non-interactive
Interactive activities: 2 credits for every 10 hours
Non-interactive activities: 1 credit for every 10 hours
Refresher courses
What are the components of CPD?

The SACAP CPD conditions prescribe three categories of Activities:Category 1, Development Activities Category 2, Work-based Activities Category 3, Individual Activities
What is the role of the employer

To encourage registered employees to participate in CPD activities that will enhance both their productivity and their professional competence.What is the role of the accredited Educational Institutions with regards to CPD?

accredited Educational Institutions offer Category 1 CPD activities.
By virtue of their SACAP validated status all lectures/workshops offered are deemed to be validated.
What is the role of the recognised Voluntary Associations (VAs) with regards to CPD?

Recognised Voluntary Associations (VAs) and accredited offer Category 1 CPD activities. Recognised VAs are also approved to validate and monitor Category 1 CPD activities offered by other providers.What is the role of SACAP with regard to CPD?

SACAP's role is to develop the CPD policy.
SACAP must also record, evaluate and audit CPD claims, for the sake of approval of the renewal of registrations.
Is CPD Compulsory?

Yes, CPD is compulsory for all architectural professionals in registered with SACAP.Why does a professional need to undertake CPD?

Continuing Professional Development (CPD) obligations exist to help ensure that qualified professionals maintain their competence to practice.
At its very basic level, CPD is for consumer protection. It is also a way of ensuring that architects keep up-to-date within a rapidly changing profession. CPD should also enhance an architect's current and future development (professionally, personally and for staff within a business). As a summary CPD is important for the following:maintain competence learn new skills and gain knowledge understand the current legislative and statutory requirements retain public confidence
Who must comply with the SACAP CPD Conditions

All persons registered in all the professional categories as described by SACAP.
What is CPD?

The definition of CPD as defined by the CIOB and adopted by the UK construction sector is " the systematic maintenance, improvement and broadening of knowledge and skills and the development of personal qualities necessary for the execution of professional and technical duties throughout your working life" - CIOB International.
Continuous Professional Development is a self-driven professional improvement strategy.
The RIBA simply refer to CPD as "Any learning activity that contributes to your ability to practise architecture or to manage your practice is valid CPD."
According to the Architectural Profession Act 2000 (Act 44 of 2000) section 22(2), the South African Council for the Architectural Profession (SACAP) may determine conditions for the renewal of registration.
SACAP has thus determined these conditions and the related CPD requirements, which have been effective from 1 January 2007. CPD is compulsory for all architectural professionals and for the renewal of registration.
CPD refers to the following activities which should take place throughout a professional's architectural career:Continuing education and training; Systematic maintenance, improvement and broadening of knowledge and skills; Development of personal qualities necessary for the execution of professional and technical duties.
What professional fees am I permitted to charge?

SACAP Guideline Professional Fees are published annually.

The guidelines are applicable to all Professional categories of SACAP Registered Persons and are available on the SACAP website under downloads and Stakeholder - Public Section.What contracts should I use for my clients?

The JBCC Contract document or Client Architect Agreement.
These contracts can be purchased from your local Institute (contact details are available on the SACAP website).
What are the stages in resolving a complaint?

Getting a response from the professional with regard to the allegations Referral of the complaint to the Investigating Committee Execution of the Committee's recommendations which will be one of the following: If recommendations of the Committee are to charge the professional, the next step is to issue out a charge sheet and wait for a response within the given time If a response has been furnished and the professional denies the charges or the given time has expired, the next step is to appoint a disciplinary tribunal
a. Charging the professional
b. Not charging the professional
c. If the professional admits guilt, recommendation for the matter will be taken to the Council for a decision depending on the nature of the violationIs there a code of conduct for architectural professionals?

Yes, this is available on the SACAP website under downloads.What are the legal implications for a person practicing within the architectural profession without being registered with the Council?

This would be a criminal offence as registration is legislated in the Architectural Profession Act 2000 (Act 44 of 2000). SACAP has an Investigating Committee which deals with Code of Conduct matters.
According to the Architectural Profession Act (44 of 2000) and the SACAP Rules for Disciplinary Proceedings, a complaint must be lodged in writing in the form of an affidavit or an affirmation (complaint accompanied by a Commissioner of Oath stamp), and forwarded to
How does Identification of Work affect members of the public?

Identification of Work enables the protection of the public in their dealings with registered persons, the maintenance of the integrity and the enhancement of the architectural profession, and the improvement of standards of services rendered.How does Identification of Work affect registered persons?

The Identification of Work framework provides categories of work within which registered persons are permitted to operate. Additional categories such as Technologists and Draughtspersons are catered for in the framework.When will the Identification of Work be finalised?

The Identification of Work framework is currently with the Council for the Built Environment (CBE). The CBE will forward it to the Competitions Commission, where after it will be published for stakeholder comment.How far is the Identification of Work process?

The proposed framework was gazetted for a second time in February 2007 for comment from registered persons and members of the public.
The responses were considered, and relevant changes were made. The revised framework was resubmitted to the CBE in June 2007.
What are the design limitations?

In accordance with Act 35 of 1970 the design limitation is still 500sqm until the Identification of Work framework has been legislated.Can I be exempted from CPD?

The Council may grant full or partial exemption from the requirements of these conditions for such period within the five year cycle as the Council may deem appropriate and reasonable.
A retired registered person, who no longer carries out any architectural work, either in a consulting capacity or in a salaried position, is exempted from these conditions provided that such retired registered person is listed on the Council's database in the Non-Practising Category.
Has Reservation of Work now been changed to Identification of Work?

No, these are two different documents.
Identification of Work will replace the Reservation of Work once it has been gazetted through the Council for the Built Environment (CBE).
What steps are followed in RPL?

A well-established process is in place to facilitate RPL. Refer to the SACAP website under downloads for the RPL Assessment Manual.Who is eligible for RPL?

The RPL Policy has been placed on hold by SACAP Council until further notice.What is RPL?

The assessment of previously acquired skills and knowledge for the purposes of upgrading to a higher category of registration. This is only applicable to persons registered as Professionals and not to those registered as Candidates.How do I prepare for the examination?

Refer to the following documents which will be made available on the SACAP website under downloads once dates have been finalised:Syllabus outline Details of suggested reading material Past papers with model answers Details of any courses offered by external service providers
How often are examinations written?

The Professional Practice Examinations are written twice a year, across South Africa and abroad where required.Who is required to write the examination?

An examination of professional practice has to be passed by all persons who are registered as Candidates after completion of 24 months' practical experience. It also has to be taken by registered persons seeking to upgrade to the next level. What methods of payment can be used?

Fees may be paid electronically, using Visa or MasterCard, by cash, direct deposit or bank guaranteed cheque.When are annual membership fees due?

Annual membership fees are raised at the beginning of the Council's financial year, which is the 1st day of April. During the first year of registration the fee is pro rated i.e. from date of registration to the 31st March of the applicable year.When must fees be paid?

In terms of section 20(1)(a)(iii) of the Act, fees are payable within 60 days from date of invoice. A registered person may be removed from the register due to non-payment of his/her annual membership fee.What should I do if I do not have a cheque account?

You may apply at your nearest bank for a bank guaranteed cheque. Cheques should be "crossed" and made payable to ‘The SA Council for the Architectural Profession'.What are annual fees used for?

The income from fees is an investment in strategic growth, and is applied to activities and services of value to the public, registered persons and to the profession.
This includes providing for the administration of committees; accrediting qualifications and programmes at higher learning institutions; providing grants to students; regulating activities within the architectural profession via a Code of Conduct; facilitating Continuous Professional Development (CPD), Identification of Work and the recommended Professional Tariffs of Fees; amending legislation as and when necessary; regular communication with our stakeholders; and technology to support these activities.

How much are registration fees?

Professionals: R500.00 (incl. VAT)
Candidates: R130.00 (incl. VAT)
The fee is payable on application.

What fees do I need to pay?

A once-off registration fee on application and an annual membership fee.How do I register if I have foreign qualifications?

Complete the ‘Evaluation of Foreign Qualifications’ application form available on the SACAP website under downloads. Thereafter the standard registration process will take place.How do I upgrade to a higher category of registration?

You need to pass the Professional Practice Examination and then proceed with the Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) Assessment. The RPL Process is currently under revision. No RPL Assessments will take place until further notice.Do I need to renew my registration?

Yes, you will need to renew your registration every five years.
(Refer to the Continuous Professional Development (CPD) category below)What do I need in order to submit plans to the Local Authorities?

SACAP Registered Professionals may submit plans to Local Authorities.

The following documents are required for plan submission:
1. Proof of SACAP Registration - certified copy of original SACAP Registration certificate (Council number).
2. Original Compliance Certificate - signed by Registered Professional submitting the plans (see downloads section of the SACAP website for Compliance Certificate)How long does the registration process take?

Once all required documentation has been received, SACAP will strive to process your application within 15 working days. An incomplete application will delay the process so applicants should ensure that you supply all requested details and documentation.Can I fax my application?

No, as we require an original signed application with your CV, payment of the registration fee and certified copies of your qualifications (where applicable).Can my application be rejected and if so, what happens to the registration fee paid?

Yes, your application can be rejected. SACAP will notify you in writing regarding the reason/s for the unsuccessful application. Please note that the registration fee is non-refundable.Who determines in what category an applicant will be registered?

It is the duty of the Registrar to ensure that all registrations are placed within the correct category.What are the categories of registration?
Professional Architect Professional Senior Architectural Technologist Professional Architectural Technologist Professional Architectural Draughtsperson Candidate Architect Candidate Senior Architectural Technologist Candidate Architectural Technologist Candidate Architectural DraughtspersonCan I register without any formal qualifications?

Yes you can register, depending on your recent, relevant experience.
The Registration Unit will evaluate your application and advise further.What is registration based on?

Registration is based on academic qualifications, experience, or a combination thereof.How much does it cost to register?

SCHEDULE OF OTHER FEES AND CHARGES (1 April 2011 - 31 March 2012)
Candidates : R830.00 (incl. 14% VAT) (Initial Registration - once off)

ANNUAL FEES (1 April 2011 - 31 March 2012)
Professionals: R2107.00 (incl. 14% VAT)
Candidates: R900.00 (incl. 14% VAT)

Please visit the SACAP website section on REGISTRATION - FEES to view more information about the Annual and Schedule of Other Fees and Charges (1 April 2011 - 31 March 2012)
How do I register?

Complete the appropriate registration form (available under REGISTRATION - HOW TO REGISTER AND DOWNLOADS section on the SACAP website) and return with the relevant documentation and payment as indicated in the form.What is the role of SACAP?

SACAP’s primary role is to protect the public, which it does through the following:Registering professionals Renewing registrations Developing and registering appropriate qualifications Accrediting programmes at higher learning institutions Regulating activities within the architectural profession via a Code of Conduct and a Disciplinary Procedure Facilitating and auditing the Continuous Professional Development (CPD) process Developing and implementing the Identification of Work process Developing and updating the recommended Professional Tariff of Fees Amending legislation as and when necessary Ensuring the public and registered persons are kept abreast of developments within the sectorWhen did registration become compulsory?

Registration was compulsory from the 1st July 2006.Why do I need to register?

According to Section 18 (2) & (3) of the Architectural Profession Act 2000 (Act No 44 of 2000):
A person may not practise in any category unless registered with SACAP;
A person registered in the category of Candidate must perform work in the architectural profession only under the supervision and control of a professional of a category prescribed
(see SACAP Policyr0007 Practical Training and Examination Policy)
Registration in a Professional category thus allows you to practice architecture and submit plans to the municipalities for approval.

Who must register?

Any person providing architectural services of any nature.
According to Section 18(2) of the Architectural Profession Act 2000 (Act 44 of 2000), a person may not practice in any category unless registered with the Council.
According to Section 26(3)(a) a person who is not registered may not perform any kind of work identified for any category of registered persons.