AfriSam Student Award for Sustainable Design
Monday, 12 August 2019
Introducing the AFRISAM STUDENT AWARD FOR SUSTAINABLE DESIGN
The AfriSam Student Award for Sustainable Design is a programme for architecture students and candidate architects across South Africa. This project aims to inspire students to apply their learning of sustainable and innovative solutions to existing structures. Students stand a chance of winning R60 000 towards their student account.
Entries for the award programme will open on 1 June and close on 6 September.
Students are required to take an in-depth look at Joubert Park / the Johannesburg Art Gallery and connecting the museum to its immediate community and other audiences.
You must look at solutions that:
- Craft a symbiotic relationship between the JAG, its rich art collection and its surrounds;
- Reconsider the agency of boundaries;
- And create a new public interface.
[Download the full brief here]
Additional reading & resources
- Submission requirements [Download here]
- How much is the community of Joubert Park involved in the Johannesburg Art Gallery today? [Download here]
- Draft Report: Heritage Impact Assessment & Conservation Management Plan for Joubert Park [Download here]
- Status Quo: Park Station Sub-precinct Development Framework [Download here]
The adjudicators will look at four main criteria that entries must demonstrate. These are:
- People Upliftment
- Evolutionary Paradigm
- Placemaking Performance
Entries should embody sound sustainable practices, that bear the hallmarks of great architectural or social design and innovative thinking in the field of sustainability, to improve our world.