Title of CPD course: OVER THE EDGE
Presenter: Keith Struthers
Course information (Content/Overview)
Summary of key points:
The scope of the course:
The essential principles of designing and constructing sculptural buildings.
· Increase your creativity by designing with surfaces and volumes as opposed to lines and edges, as we normally do.
· Become sculpturally literate by identifying the ABC lexicon of single, warped and double curved surfaces.
· Improvising to directly access fresh ideas.
· 'Ban the critic' from your practice yet improve your work with astute insights and co-creative feedback methods.
· Master 5 invaluable techniques to ensure your innovative designs are accurately built.
· Touch the nerve of what motivates you personally so you can produce your most inspired work.
· The Flat White Elephant in the Studio: Why designing with physical models, real surfaces and volumes, is the key factor when creating beautiful sculptural buildings
· The language of surfaces: How to confidently introduce curved surfaces into your designs by understanding the fundamental ABC’s of form
· Effective Documentation: The shocking reality that most methods are inadequate for sculptural designs and what you can do about it
· Creativity 107: improvising to directly access fresh ideas
· Time to Reflect: Where to look for golden opportunities in your life
· Documenting 2D Shapes: The 5 invaluable techniques we use to ensure our innovative designs are accurately built.
· Form follows Feeling: Why designing with refined feelings is essential to making your buildings timeless.
· The art of conversation: How to instantly elevate the dynamics of your discussions to become a reliable source of creative ideas.
· Co - creating: How to ban ‘the critic’ from your feedback sessions to ensure your co-working atmosphere is enjoyable, positive, supportive, insightful and consistently effective. Yes, really.
· Time to Reflect: Identify a habit that keeps you saying ‘maybe later’ to life and what will happen if you change it.
· Documenting 3D Forms: 3 Advanced techniques you need to know to guarantee that your complex designs are built exactly as intended
· The Alphabet of form: How to craft the shapes and forms of your buildings to evoke particular moods and feelings appropriate to its use
· A Simple off-the-page technique: How your designs can be enormously expressive and fun without blowing the budget
· In the Limelight: How touching the nerve of what motivates you personally will focus you to produce your most inspired work
Cape Town: 134 Main Road, Corner Windsor and Main Roads (above Olympia Café), Kalk Bay, Cape Town
Johannesburg: 26 Portman Road, Bryanston, Johannesburg
For the adventurous we also run the courses in Brazil and Chile. Enq. via email.
Time: 8:45am to 4:50pm (both cities)
Cape Town: Thursday, Friday and Saturday – 8, 9, 10th of November 2018
Johannesburg: Thursday, Friday and Saturday – 25, 26, 27th of October 2018
Closing date for Registration and payments:
Cape Town: Tuesday, 06th of November 2018 | Johannesburg: Monday, 22th of November 2018
Click for registration: https://www.naturalscool.com/courses/module-1/
Cost of workshop:
R 5 950 per person
Cancellation/refunds will only be accepted a week prior to the set date. Should no cancellation be received within this period, no refunds will be made for non-attendance!
CPD Category: 1
Contact person for course information and bookings: Gabriela Ventapane
Tel: +27 21 794 7655
Email address: email@example.com
Banking details/ booking details or other important information:
Payment by EFT or Payfast on our website
Business cheque account
(Please use your initials and surname as reference. To finish your booking, send the proof of payment to: firstname.lastname@example.org)
What participants have said:
"More inspirational than five years at university!"
Adam Van Nieuwenhuizen, Landscape Architect, South Africa
"The initial spark that made me fall in love with architecture was ignited here. I felt an awakening of my senses through engaging with the tactile once again."
Nobethu Jolobe, Architect, Johannesburg, South Africa
"NaturalsCool have introduced a whole new quiver to my design lexicon in a manner that was educational, inspirational and fun. It gave me the opportunity to delve into myself and rediscover my passion for the design process, which I haven’t felt for a long
Brian Glaser, Architect and film set designer, Cape Town, South Africa